Sunday, November 18, 2012

FNM @ ATC Nov 15, 2012 (Part 1 of 2)


Friday Night Magic at the Alabang Town Center has been a weekly ritual for me and the rest of the M:TG South of Alabang playgroup. This week was no different.
Neutral Grounds ATC
Andrew Cantillana and Morry Bayuga check out a binder

After a week of failure with my Grixis project, I've decided to settle with my red agro deck. I think long breaks in between rounds are priceless.

Here's the decklist I brought with me:

Stormkirk Noble  4
Mark of Mutiny 4
Rackdos Cackler  4
Fling 1
Stonewright  2
Zealous Conscripts 1
Ash Zealot  4
Thunderbolt 2
Lightning Mauler  3
Geistflame 3
Gore-House Chainwalker  3
Reckless Waif 4
Pyreheart Wolf  2


Hellrider 4


Archwing Dragon 1


Pillar of Flame 4


Searing Spear 4


Brimstone Volley 3


Faithless Looting 1


Mountains 20


Hellion Crucible 1



Ten one drops and ten two drops make this deck very busy on the onset. The burn section is very standard. The dogs are there to make sure the swings make it in and Hellrider usually seals the coffin. The sideboard is made to answer the instantly famous UW Flash strategy that I thought would be popular this week, given that Shane Remelt's version topped the Dallas SCG event. The deck also hopes to keep up with green decks running Thragtusks with five items of temporary control and a single Fling just in case the moment is right for showtime. I was also hoping to ruin the day for Restoration Angels with Thunderbolts and manadorks with Geistflames - effective against Snapcasters and RDW mirrors, too.

Playtests before the first match
Match 1: I forgot

My first match was so fast I can't even recall what I played against. I'll remember taking notes if I want to continue doing M:TG event coverages. Oh and I'll have a tripod ready next time, too.

Match 2: American Agro
Match two was against American Agro which made me quickly excited given that my sideboard was quite ready for what it does. Match one was done quickly with me having six quick creatures on the board on turn four. The Hellrider on turn five was unanswered and we shuffle and sideboard for game two. In game two, I again started quick with creatures and cast a spear on an opposing Dungeon Geist that was holding down one of my wolves. My opponent charms his geist on top of his library which told me that the guy wasn't casting very many creatures this game. He casts the geist on his turn, which I burn during his end phase with the Thunderbolt I was saving for one of his flash angels which I thought wasn't going to make it to the board anyway. The game was over with only three mountains on my side of the board with a Hellrider sitting in my hand.

Zax Ozaki takes his 3rd Match to the long run
Match 3: G/W Agro
Match three was a tough one with G/W agro. This guy was running Thragtusks for resilience and I scooped when the second life-gain resolved. I worked hard on game two, finishing with a Hellrider. Game three saw another pair of Thragtusks and a Sigarda and I was not near putting up a decent fight against such.

Match 4: G/W Agro
Okay, now at 2-1-0, I was needing a win if I was to pick up any of the prize packs. I already said goodbye to the foil Pillar of Flame that I needed to complete my set of four. Then the nightmare continued - my opponent opens with a manadork, taking two from his Temple Garden - G/W Agro again - the one deck that I did not prepare for as far as my sideboard was concerned. Good thing he mulliganed to six on the first and to five on the second. With his card resources always limited, I was able to survive the match in two games.

3-1-0 for the first FNM flight wasn't so bad. I pulled a Deathrite Shaman from one of the prize packs, too.

Here are some of the top finishers.

Richard Badlon (2nd Place) poses with reluctance
Zax (1st Place) and Andrew (4th)

In my next article, I'll be showing you a revised list of the Red Agro deck used in the second FNM flight.

All photos taken by me through a GE X500.
This post is not formally endorsed by Neutral Grounds or Wizards of the Coast.

Visit and Like up on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/syntaxassassin
To request coverage of your Magic: the Gathering Event or to request an article about a specific topic, please send an email to boomdizon@yahoo.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment