Sunday, November 18, 2012

FNM @ ATC Nov 15, 2012 (Part 2 of 2)

In my previous article, I showed how RDW deck fared in the first flight of last week's FNM.

The Philippine's #1 Allan Oca
Deeper in the ATC afternoon

The second flight had me redo my sideboard with the presence of green decks being greater than anticipated. Below is my revised deck list.

Main Deck

Sideboard:
Stormkirk Noble  4
Mark of Mutiny 4
Rackdos Cackler  4
Fling 1
Stonewright  2
Thunderbolt 2
Ash Zealot  4
Flames of the Firebrand 3
Lightning Mauler  3
Reckless Waif 4
Gore-House Chainwalker  3
Pyreheart Wolf  1
Pyreheart Wolf  2


Hellrider 4


Archwing Dragon 1


Pillar of Flame 4


Searing Spear 4


Brimstone Volley 4


Mountains 20


Hellion Crucible 1



From the old list, I took out the Geistflames to make way for the same number of Flames of the Firebrand - hoping to take out a dork and some two-toughness creature. I scrapped Zealous Conscripts for another copy of Pyreheart Wolf who could double as a blocker in case I would be on the defensive. This dog's offensive quality against decks with bigger creatures needs no discussion.

Magic traders and competitors were piling up into the Alabang Town Center and the second FNM flight was soon in progress.

Major is in the building! It must be the 2nd Flight.
Top: Vangie calls out for the second flight
Bottom: Ely Andrade's Pokerface




















Match 1: R/G Werewolves
I sat to wait for my opponent who went to the restroom right before seeing the pairings. He was back after a bit, pulling a deck box while explaining that his deck wasn't as it was because of the new Twilight movie. True enough, we proceeded with the first match with various werewolves hitting the board on his side. My usual cheap-drops did their thing while I pillared every Immerwolf I saw in sight. Hellrider finished. Predictable. Game two did not give him any green sources and he was doomed.

Match 2:Junk Goodstuff
The competition was going to get tougher in the second round but I did not hope to pair with Ron Moreno who was on a three week streak and was running green (ugh, swagtusk, yech). We shuffled and and drew. He mulliganed to six. Most of his part of the game was a manadork (which I pillared), Lingering Souls and Farseeks which were all late. Game one was easy with me on the steady offense. Game two saw him his worst draw I could image.Ron redrew down to five cards, cast a manadork and passed. I kept a hand that had a pillar and took out his dork. He played a land and passed. I started the assault with an Ash Zealot. I tapped it to attack and waited for an Abrupt Decay or some other answer. He took the damage and it looked good for me and my zealot. Three turns later, his board failed to improve (yes, just two lands) and there wasn't anything to stop my attacks.

Match 3: B/W Tokens
I was already hearing about a rogue deck playing in the ATC FNMs that ran Blood Artists and Lingering Souls. I heard it win against Bant Control and RDW so it made me quite curious about how it worked - if at all. My only fear was a turn-two Intangible Virtue followed by token generation. A scenario like that would take huge value of my burn spells and creatures. My opponent kept at six cards. We fought hard on game one, with my Pyreheart Wolf leading the assault. His Blood Artist gnawed on me continuously as he traded souls for my creatures thanks to his pump enchantment. I was dangerously down to 10 with 4 souls and an artist on the otherside. He had taken a measly three. I had a Hellrider but was chickening out fearing that he would have Faith's Shield to foil the swing and take me down the next turn. With my wolf and three other dudes, I swung full at him. He blocked with two spirits and took out my Gore-house Chainwalker. He took the rest chomping his total a bit. I knew he didn't have Faith shield. His turn was just to untap and pass. I dropped the Hellrider and swung full force. This made him scoop and we went to game two. Game two had me virtually empty handed with his two Nevermore's naming Ash Zealot and Hellrider.

Match 4: G/W Agro
My deck goes into the same old bad match up and RDW losing to G/W Agro is, in my honest view, not a good read (or write, bah). But the match turns out to go my way with my opponent's mana on drought for game one and flooded on the second.

3-1-0 for RDW again, Chromatic Lantern in one of the pulls and its a wrap.

Here are a bunch of photos from that afternoon.


Raffy Facultad
Top: Vangie not posing; Bottom-Left: Ely Andrade


Left: Joey Engala
The Observant James Mills




















I'll see you all next week for another Magic: the Gathering event coverage.

*I've recently acquired a set of Restoration Angels and am up to no good. (light evil chuckle in fade out)

All photos taken by me through a GE X500.
This post is not formally endorsed by Neutral Grounds or Wizards of the Coast.


Visit and Like up on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/syntaxassassin
To request coverage of your Magic: the Gathering Event or to request an article about a specific topic, please send an email to boomdizon@yahoo.com 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment